Breast – breast. Yes, men have breasts. There are various diseases that can cause breast enlargement in men. One of them is gynecomastia, which can cause swelling of breast tissue and even breast tenderness. This condition is usually caused by a testosterone problem which leads to more oestrogen in the body.
For the majority of men, however, men’s breasts are simply the result of excess fat on their breasts. Your pectoral muscles are under the fat layer. So if you are losing body fat and building muscle, you can work to get rid of your male breasts.
You cannot target fat loss on a specific area of the body, but you can work to build muscle in certain areas. If you want to lose weight, regular cardiovascular training can help.
You can do a decent chest workout at home by doing pushups. Or go to your local gym. Good form is important – it improves exercise efficiency and protects you from injury.
Here are three specific breast workouts you can try at a gym:
Barbell bench press:
lowering the barbell should take longer – twice as long – than lifting. When you have finished your set, put the bar back in the rack.
- Place your bar on the support and position yourself so that you can grab the bar with a medium grip.
- Lift the bar and keep it straight on your body.
- Inhale while lowering the bar down the middle of your chest.
- Exhale when you return to your starting position.
Pec Deck Machine:
Always keep your elbows slightly bent. Also keep your back arched. This way you can target your chest, not your shoulders. Before you sit down on the machine, use the sliding pins to choose the weight you want to work with.
- Adjust the seat so that the handles are at the same height as your chest.
- Sit down, grab the handlebars and pull them toward each other as you exhale and contract your chest.
- Return to your starting position in one breath.
Bent-forward cable crossovers:
- Before starting, the desired weight on both sides of the machine.
- Lean over your body (keeping your back flat) so that the cables align with your pectoral muscles.
- Push your arms down and inward (cross) as you exhale.
- Slowly return to your starting position while inhaling.
Some diet changes to consider:
Dieting is another way to get rid of excess fat all over the body. Make small changes to your eating routine. For the most lasting weight loss, try to lose one to two pounds per week.
Before changing your eating habits, you may want to keep a food journal to see what you are eating. Eliminate high-calorie, nutrient-poor foods like soda, candy, and other sugary snacks. Replace them with whole grains, lean protein and other healthy whole grains.
If you eat fewer calories from food and drink, you don’t have to be hungry. Instead of thinking about all the foods you can’t eat in your diet, think about what you can add to your day. Fruits and vegetables are low in calories and rich in nutrients, water and fiber.
For example, these delicious snacks contain only 100 calories (or less):
- medium banana
- cup steamed green beans
- cup blueberries
- cup raisins
- cup carrots, broccoli or pepper plus two tablespoons of hummus.